Saturday, July 6, 2013

Personalize your space

My mother and I were out shopping a few years ago and saw some adorable window curtains, only problem, they were very over priced.  We looked at the curtains more closely and discovered they were a simple white curtain with store bought ribbon sewn around the edges.  I was able to find some plain white curtains and some ribbon that match perfectly with the bed set I had for my daughter.  Here is a tutorial of what I did to personalize curtains.

First purchase curtains in a neutral color, I did white because it will be simple to change whenever I need to.  Then find some wide gross grain ribbon I would suggest at least 2 inches in the color of your choice.  I did green polka dot. Measure the length of your curtain from top to bottom and across the bottom.


Next sew the ribbon 1 inch from the edge along the side and bottom of the curtain.


I decided to sew the corner by stopping the vertical ribbon high enough for the bottom horizontal ribbon to be 1 inch from the bottom.

Because our house is west facing it can get REALLY hot, one way to help this is by purchasing curtains with black out material already attached or go to your local fabric store and purchase black out material.  I had to do the later.  It was simple to attach.

Lay your curtain on the ground all spread out, right side down.  Lay your black out material over top right side up.  Pin the material in place along the top and down the sides, trimming the black out material to the size of the curtain.  Next sew the black out material along the top first and then down each side.



And there you go, simple personalized curtains that keep out both the heat and the sun.  Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment